Friday, October 16, 2009

“Hispanic students aspire to higher education but face barriers”

So I finally managed to find sometime to read that article that Dr. Ingvoldstad sent us about Hispanic students. I found it to be very sad news. I myself believe that education is very important (though I will admit at times I do not put my full effort into it, something I am striving to change) and I wish that there was a way to help these students. I can't really see grants being that helpful since they often enough do not provide enough money, but maybe if we had a system similar to Sweeden or other European countries where higher education is free. Though that would require people to pay more taxes, which no ever seems inclined to want to do. Granted I myself bounce back and forth on the taxes thing, but there are times when I feel it would be more beneficial as a whole for the people who have a hard time taking care of themselves, such as Hispanic kids who can't afford to pay for school. Anyway, you should take a look at the article if you haven't already, see what you think.

1 comment:

  1. I also read the article and I do support a system where higher eduacation is free. Americans should be ashamed by the amount of money that college costs and the debt that it puts people in. It's an awful way for someone to start their adult life, $100,000 or more in some cases, in debt. I hope that in the future we can find a way to deal with this problem

    ReplyDelete